Tales of Hauntings, Strange Happenings and Other Local Lore
Yellowstone National Park Ghost Stories
retold by S. E. Schlosser
"That's him," I said, pointing.
The young man's smile slipped a bit. "That is an historic picture, taken many years ago," he said cautiously. "None of those men work here now."
"Really? That's strange," I said, feeling cold again. "The bellman who helped me looks just like this man."
"That man was the bell captain," the young man said. “He’s since passed away.” Face devoid of expression, he added: "I'm sorry, I don't know who it was that helped you today"....
Welcome to Yellowstone National Park, the place where ghosts walk! A phantom bellman assists a woman with her luggage; a picnicker has lunch with a ghost; a park ranger encounters a Sasquatch; a young man faces an ancient wilderness spirit of the Bear, and so much more. This collection of Yellowstone ghost stories ranges from mysterious to leave-the-light-on scary. So, is the Yellowstone Nation Park really haunted? You bet.
Planning a Yellowstone National Park Vacation? You can follow in the footsteps of S.E. Schlosser and visit Yellowstone's most haunted locations using the Yellowstone National Park Self-Guided Ghost Tour - Lower Loop.
Part One: Ghost Stories
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Mattie - Nez Perce Picnic Area
2. I Want to Go Home - Lake Village
3. The Ghost in the Green Shirt - Jackson Lake
4. The Headless Bride - Old Faithful
5. Hello, Darlin’ - Cody
6. Fatal Feud - Madison County
7. Ghost Train - Gardiner
8. Thirty-Seven Days - Crescent Hill
9. The Drowned Man - Stevenson Island
10. The Ghost in Room 203 - Fountain Flats
11. The Miner’s Ghost - Cooke City
12. Double or Nothing - Norris
13. Dark Presence - Cody
Part Two: Powers of Darkness and Light
14. Fire! - Lake Yellowstone
15. Kahn Hayn - Mud Volcano
16. Yancey’s Ghost - Roosevelt
17. Sasquatch - Lamar Valley
18. The Sentinel - Dunraven Pass
19. Little Joe’s Grave - Mammoth
20. The Miracle - Lower Geyser Basin
21. Death Pit - Tower Junction
22. Swept Over - Canyon
23. The Hero of Stone Mountain - Stone Mountain
24. Not Far Below - West Thumb
25. Shattered - West Yellowstone
To read a few excerpts, check out our Yellowstone Ghost Stories page!